We are very aware of the financial hardships that many parents are experiencing and are happy to discuss these with parents.
We wish to inform parents that according to the South African School’s Act 1996 (as amended),the payment of school fees is compulsory. Parents may, however, apply to the school for total, partial or conditional relief of the payment of fees.
The extent of relief granted is dependent upon both parents’ annual income (from all sources).
Should a parent want to apply for this relief the application forms are available from our school fee administrator, Mrs Smith, and must be collected by the parent in person.
Since the running of a school efficiently requires much more funding than the state provides, we appeal for parents to apply responsibly for this assistance.
Should any parent wish to apply for this assistance for next year, application forms need to be completed and submitted by the first week in February of the new year. Relief may be granted by this means only, ie. no relief can be given without the formal application and the completion of the application forms.
Those parents, who have already received assistance in the past, also need to re-apply in 2021. Humanitarian relief may be considered at shorter notice only in exceptional financial circumstances. In this case a meeting with the principal is essential.
In the case of a family being divorced, the child usually resides with the guardian parent.
The school liaises with this parent only.
If the guardian parent is not responsible for the school fees, it is his/her responsibility to ensure that the “other” parent meets their obligations. This includes the completion of the assistance application where applicable.
Please note, that the above processes are undertaken in the strictest confidence.
CHAIRPERSON: GOVERNING BODY
- All school fees are due and payable annually in advance on the first day of school.
- Fees may be paid in 10 equal instalments commencing on the 1st January 2021 and ending 1 November 2021.
- Fees may be paid in full by 31 December 2020 in which case a 8% discount will be granted. School fees paid in full during the month of January 2021 will receive an 7% discount. School fees paid in full during the month of February 2021 will receive a 6% discount.
- If any instalment is outstanding by the due date the full outstanding amount of school fees will become due and payable.
- A parents’ school fee debt is a statutory obligation and thus takes priority over the voluntary school programs. Monies received will first be allocated to school fees.
- The school may hold or process by computer or otherwise, any information obtained about parents as a result of their liability for payment of school fees.
- All parents are obligated to pay school fees in terms of Section 40 of the SASA unless they have been granted exemption from the payments of school fees. The criteria for the total, partial or conditional exemption of parents, who are unable to pay compulsory school fees, be determined in accordance with the criteria set out in The Exemption of Parents from School Fee Regulations (as amended in Government Gazette 39392 of 17 November, 2006).
- If a parent’s school fees account is in arrears at the beginning of the year, then the account is immediately due and the school will not allow the parent the option of paying monthly. The school reserves the right in this instance to hand over the full account to our debt collectors.
- All legal costs, including attorney/client fees and collection costs incurred for recovery of school fees will be for the account of the parent(s).
SCHOOL FEES ASSISTANCE/RELIEF
We are aware of the financial hardships that many parents are experiencing especially as a result of the Covid19 pandemic.
We wish to inform parents that according to the South African School’s Act of 1996 (as amended), the payment of school fees is compulsory. Parents may, however, apply to the school for total, partial or conditional relief of the payment of fees. The extent of the relief granted is dependent upon both parents’ annual income from all sources. The running of the school efficiently requires much more funding than the state provides. We therefore appeal to all parents to apply responsibly for this assistance.
3.1 A parent who wishes to apply for relief from the payment of school fees for a child at EPS, shall do so annually in writing by completing the relevant forms provided by the school.
3.2 Parents who have received assistance in the past will need to re-apply for the year 2021.
3.3 Application forms are available from the School Fee Administrator, Mrs Cynthia Smith.
3.4 The completed forms must be returned within seven working days of receiving the forms.
3.5 The parent may be required to attend an interview with the School Governing Body.
3.6 The Chairperson and the Treasurer will evaluate each application by applying the relevant legislation before granting or declining an application.
3.7 Applicants will be informed in writing by the School Governing Body of the outcome within 30 days of the parent lodging the application, provided that all the relevant documentation was completed in full.
Please note that the school usually liaises with one appointed parent or guardian only. If this parent or guardian is not responsible for the school fees, it is his/her responsibility to ensure that the school has the relevant contact details of the responsible party.
Please note that the above processes are undertaken in the strictest confidence. If you are considering applying for an exemption in 2021 please do so by the end of February 2021